Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall
Retiree Services Office

Mission Statement: The Retiree Services Office (RSO) provides counseling and assistance to active duty Soldiers, retirees, widows, widower, survivors, and family members from all branches of military service concerning rights, benefits, and entitlements. Retirement Briefings and Survivor Benefit Program briefings are also conducted for Soldiers and family members to attend. Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall also conducts an Annual Retiree Appreciation Day (Open to all military retirees, regardless of branch of service).

Military Personnel Division

106 Custer Road, Bldg 202
Fort Myer, VA 22211-1199

Hours of Operation:

Closed for lunch 1130-1230
Monday - Friday

Contact Information
Phone: (703) 696-5948
DSN: 426-5948
Fax: (703) 696-2780
(Please make attention to Retirement Services)


Retirement and survivor benefit program briefings are conducted for military personnel and family members to attend. No reservations are required. Unless otherwise noted, all the pre-retirement briefings are held on the first Tuesday of each month from 8 a.m. to noon in the Fort Myer Community Activities Center, Building 405. Soldiers may wear civilian clothes and spouses are welcome.Click here for the agenda.

Applying for retirement: AR 600-8-24 governs officer retirements and AR 635-200 enlisted personnel. All requests for retirement must be routed through agency/unit and forwarded to the Military Personnel Division by the S-1. Request may be delivered in person or emailed to:

Outprocessing Procedures:

Survivor Benefit Plan: Every soldier, regardless of marital status, must make an election for Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP). This must be done any time once you've attended a pre-retirement briefing and are in receipt of retirement orders but prior to clearing the installation. For this appointment you will need two copies of retirement and transition orders, divorce decree if divorced on or after 14 November 1986, marriage certificate if spouse's last name is different and death certificate if spouse is deceased. Service members are advised to bring a completed draft DD Form 2656 so you will have all data needed readily available at your scheduled appointment.

Finance: Soldiers must schedule an appointment with Finance in order to clear. A few topics covered during this appointment are leave balance, sell leave, travel and expenses to final destination, in-service debt, allotments and final active duty pay. You may contact their office at (703) 696-3522 or 3523 to schedule your appointment.

Final Outprocess: This is where you will complete outprocessing with the installation, turn in all documents (listed below), make all changes to your DD 214 Worksheet with supporting documentation and get your official DD 214, Certificate of Discharge from Active Duty. Below is a list of documents Soldiers must turn in to receive their DD 214.

  • Report of Medical History and Medical Exam
  • Close-out Evaluation (NCOER or OER) or memo
  • DD 2656 - Data for Payment of Retired Personnel
  • DD 93 - Record of Emergency Data

  • SGLI - Serviceman Group Life Insurance
  • DA 669 - Education Records
  • DA 2962 - Security Termination
  • DA 759 - Flight Record
  • DA 31 - Leave Forms
  • Transition and Retirement Orders (4 each)
  • DD 2648 - Preparation Counseling checklist (ACAP)


    Retirement Ceremonies: The Transition Center serves as the point of contact for participation in monthly retirement ceremonies. Click here  to see dates available and request participation.

    Army G-1 Retirement Services:

    Officer Retirements: click here for a sample memorandum to request retirement.

    Enlisted Retirements: click here for a sample DA 4187 to request retirement.

    Reserve Component:

    Retiree Recall:

    Pay and Calculators:

    Retirement Ceremonies:

    Veteran Affairs:

    Social Security:

    TRICARE Delta Dental:


    Military Records: louis/military-personnel/

    Legislative Updates:

    Space A Travel:

    Defense Finance & Accounting Service:

    Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP):

    Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC):

    Casualty & Mortuary Affairs:

    Retirement Ceremonies:

    Information can be obtained by contacting the Fort Myer Transition Center at (703) 696-3332/3164.

    Retiree Council Meetings:

    FMMC General Council meetings are held the second Thursday of February, May, August and November. Meetings are held in Bldg 205 from 1230 to 1430.

    Pre-Retirement Services

  • Coordinates, conducts and facilitates detailed periodic Pre-Retirement and Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) group briefings for all retiring Soldiers (highly encourages family members to attend)

  • Counsels Soldiers and family members concerning retirement rights, benefits and privileges.

  • Conducts one-on-one (desk-side) Pre-Retirement briefings as needed.

  • Assists retiring Soldiers and family members with completion of the DD Form 2656 (Data for Payment of Retired Personnel.

  • Processes the DD Form 2656 electronically using TRANSPROC to the Department of Defense Finance and Accounting Services, Cleveland (DFAS-CL).

  • Coordinates, conducts and facilitates detailed periodic Pre-Retirement and Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) group briefings for all retiring Soldiers (highly encourages family members to attend).

  • Post-Retirement Services

  • Counsels and assists survivors of retired Soldiers and Soldiers who die on active duty regarding their SBP options and entitlements, and the proper processing of their SBP elections, which includes counseling on Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) and its relationship to SPB.

  • Publishes and mails retiree newsletters at least annually.

  • Conducts an annual Retiree Appreciation Day (RAD).

  • Provides information and filing assistance for the " Annuities for Certain Military Surviving Spouses" and/or ACMSS, also known as the "Forgotten Widows".

  • Assists/advises retired Soldiers in understanding and applying for Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC)

  • Provides information to retired Soldiers on Concurrent Retirement and Disability Payments (CRDP).

  • Assists retired Soldiers and family members in obtaining: copies of lost documents (i.e., DD Form 214, retirement orders and medical records); re-issuance of military awards and issuance of military ID cards.

  • Provides retired Soldiers and their families with information and referrals on a myriad of other benefits and entitlements, including Veterans Affairs (VA), TRICARE medical and dental, Social Security, Medicare Benefits and others.